Saturday, June 20, 2009

Did you miss me?


Again, I'm so sorry that I've been away this long. I feel neglectful. Please don't take it personally.


I finally found that job I'd been praying for. Actually, Facebook found it for me (my pastor saw a note that I was searching for a position for the summer)! My church offered a part-time position organizing volunteers for a camp they're doing in conjunction with the YMCA this year. It sounded like a truly wonderful idea.


The camp is geared toward tutoring children that are lacking the skills they need to complete their end-of-grade testing at a proper level. Being the Y, they intersperse fun with the learning. Sounds like a plan to me.


Thankfully, I have a fantastically supportive church family. Most jump at the chance to help out, so we've plenty of volunteers. The idea is to supplement the staff that the YMCA has supplied and get to know the children, many of whom live in the neighborhood or neighboring areas.


This first week held many challenges, but, in the end, all is well. I'm VERY pleased that the weekend is here. I've certainly forgotten what it is like to be on your feet for many hours at a time!

2 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

That is so great! It sounds very rewarding!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Sounds like a good fit for you! Who knew Facebook could be that useful?