Monday, November 24, 2008

What can we do?

This question arose today as my son and I were going over his Science lesson for the day - Is it ok to continue mining and searching for coal when the effects of removal damage the earth?

My son: No, it's terrible how they take out mountains and pollute the earth by removing coal.

Me: What can we do instead?

My son: Use wind and solar energy. They're free and unlimited.

This from a 7th grader! Wow! He listens and pays attention...

My next thoughts - What can we do at our level to prevent misuse of our natural resources?

My answer(s) - Well, we don't have the funds to install solar panels or our own wind turbine, but we can cut back on our consumption of electricity and other resources.

How?

  • Unplug electrical appliances we aren't using.

  • Stop using so many electrical devices. It's takes so little to open a can with a hand held opener, why use electricity to do it? Why do we have to use a hair dryer? You know, little things like that make a big difference.

  • Combine car trips. Run all of your errands at one time rather than 5 separate trips a day. You'll be amazed at how much time, effort and energy this will save!

  • Recycle! This is my favorite. Most cities have recycling service and even if you don't have curbside pick-up you can save it and tote it once a month to a recycling center.

  • Reuse! This is my second favorite. I remember my grandmother saving plastic bread bags when I was little. She saved everything - jelly jars, twist ties, grocery bags...anything and everything. AND, she used it. If she hadn't used something at least twelve times she wasn't through with it.

No comments: