Thursday, May 14, 2009

Job Search update

So, the interview last week has turned up nothing, thus far. Unofficially, I've been told that it was offered to the lady that came just before me. I'm still hoping that she refuses...

She's a pastor's wife, of the same denomination, searching for something part-time. They live in a small village about 30-45 min. from our neighborhood (depending on traffic). She has one child in a "Mother's Morning Out" program and another that she'd have to find daycare for.

Being realistic, I've weighed this out for her, along with my "inside" source...

  • She'd be accepting a job working 9am-12pm, 3 days a week. This is roughly 9 hours, not including any overage that may occasionally occur...
  • She'll be using 1 tank of gas a week, due to distance.
  • She'll have to find and pay for daycare for another child with this salary. On average, in this area that'll cost about $150 a week, whether you show up or not.
  • Her "Mother's Morning Out" program runs from 9am-12pm...she's either going to be late arriving and early leaving work each day or irritating the programs staff by causing them to do the reverse.

Will this be worth her time? No.

It's a small congregation that is not rich by any means. I find it hard to believe that she'd be paid enough to cover her child care costs, much less wear & tear on the car or gas.

Her selling point -

She's going to help them grow the church... Not sure how. The pastor doesn't keep regular hours, so she'll have little contact with her and little with members of the congregation... However, the pastor jumped on this offer!

So, here I am, still hoping that she says "No" and leaves it to me, since I was the congregations choice.

P.S.

The day before the interview another opening in the same denomination came up for a church about 15 minutes from her home. It offered 20-30 hours a week, immediately. It's double the time and probably double the money...

I'm sure she would apply. I did! I'm praying she'll take that one and leave this neighborhood one to me...

P.P.S

Don't ya just love having an insider when you're applying for a job... ;-)

1 comment:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I hope this works out for you. It certainly doesn't sound as if the first job would be of much benefit to that lady, but who knows? I'm sure the right job for you will come up at just the right time!