Saturday, May 30, 2009

School gatherings...don't you love them???



Did you sense the sarcasm in my voice in the title?? No. Well, it was there.


When school programs last so long your butt goes to sleep, reawakens, and sends shooting pains through your legs you've been sitting TOO long! We began sitting at 8:55am and were FINALLY released shortly after 12pm Friday. Ugh!




My daughters high school was having their annual Senior Class Day, which is basically awards & scholarship announcements for the graduating Senior class. I've never attended in the past but gladly went today, as my baby girl is scheduled to graduate two weeks from this Saturday!!! Hooray!



Now back to reality. Notice that I said "scheduled to graduate" and not "graduating"? Yeah. Well, we won't know for sure if she'll receive the diploma until NEXT Friday. Am I worried? YES! Why you ask? Short story.



My precious baby girl is sharp as a tack. She's one of those annoying kids that really doesn't even half to crack a book & will still get a "C". When she applies herself, she is one of the smartest kids in the class. When she doesn't, she REALLY doesn't... And since 7th grade she hasn't made very many efforts to apply herself.


I'm not sure exactly what happened to cause this change, but it happened. As a family, we've fought & supported her constantly to achieve her potential. Toward the end of 8th grade she seemed to be buckling down a little. 9th grade, 3rd quarter had us back in the same spot. She'd do just enough to get by, but just barely.


That tactic has finally come to bite her in the butt. She's had supplemental classes twice this year for failed classes and there is a possibility that she'll have summer school. Not according to her, mind you, but I'm fairly certain according to the input I've witnessed.


What did she really want to do at school? Play & socialize. I tell you, if she could've majored in socialization and being a class clown she would've been the class Valedictorian. I'm not kidding. They even voted her "Most likely to be recognized" in the Yearbook!


If she graduates with her class I'll be surprised, to say the least. Extremely happy, but surprised!


When I heard "Pomp and Circumstance" and witnessed her walking toward me in her cap & gown, I just cried. Now if we get positive news next Friday, I can cry a river of tears of joy & relief!



I pray that she'll go to college. Realistically, I know that unless she chooses to buckle down & take school seriously, it will be a waste of her time, the school's time, and everyone's money. (She received two small scholarships based on her participation in a community program.)


As my mom says - "One day at a time. Let her get out of high school first. Then, we can worry about the rest."

No comments: